Sunday, March 21, 2010

Demolition weekend

I'll start this post by apologizing for the lack of pictures. I'm too tired to pick up the camera to plug it into the computer.

We spent Friday night, all day Saturday, and all day Sunday doing demolition work and filling our 20 cubic yard dumpster.

As of now (Sunday night), we have removed all walls, ceilings, carpet, and wood trim from the second floor hallway. We have also removed all walls and all of the trim (except baseboards) from the 1st to 2nd floor stairwell. Mike also used a variety of implements of destruction to remove our front walkway, which was made of crumbling concrete.

Dumpster status: 65% full.

When we bought the house, we had a bunch of people say, "You never know what you'll find in those walls." Imagine how excited I was when I found a large roll of yellowed paper in the wall on the first floor. It looked like it could have been a treasure map or the original plans to the house. As I excitedly chipped away at the plaster and lath, gently so that I wouldn't damage the paper, I had dreams of gold or floor plans running though my head. I pulled off my work gloves, brought it out onto the front porch, gingerly unrolled it, and then Mike said, "It's a window blind." Yep. At some point, someone either purposely or accidentally sealed a window blind in the wall. No treasure. No floor plans. Just a really, really old blind.

So that I don't continue to ramble in my fatigued state, I'll wrap this post up with a list.

Good things from this weekend:
- Discovered original wood floors in good condition on second floor
- Ripped out loads of old nasty dusty plaster and lath
- Ate pizza and Chinese food all weekend - no cooking!

Bad things from this weekend:
- Found the scariest wiring setup yet in the ceiling
- No treasure map, bag of gold, box of money, or floor plans in walls
- Tired and sore

Things left to do:
- Remove remaining trim and carpet
- Destroy the shrub monster
- Carry more crap to the dumpster
- Go to sleep at 9:00 p.m. on a Sunday.

Goodnight, all.

No comments: